Monday 15 April 2013


SECOND ATONIC SEIZURE

The bus journey
was a silver-green-brown-fudge
of passing images triggering me
into little blanks
Steps became spongy
downhill then uphill
seeking a destination
recently dis-remembered
I was pushing myself up from a gutter
Nothing was hurting
The dual-carriageway empty
except for two figures
heading my way. I swayed.
Frame of specs bent at the bridge
dirt on shoulder, knee, knitted beanie, no blood
Don’t try to get up, how you didn’t, how he didn’t,
dropped straight on his face, are you hurt?
Do you want an ambulance? Yes please
First a paramedic in a car, then an ambulance
We’ll take it from here
Are you sure you can walk? Yes
Arms extended like a zombie, staring at the ramp
A blank
The tentative shuffle entering A&E
Take your time
I have a medical ID card
scowl
please look at my ID
scowl
on the top of my A&E notes it has
LOOK AT THIS MAN’S MEDIC-ALERT
scowl
accepted the card
doctor told me to lie down
After some more silver-green-brown-fudge
the same man discharged me
I don’t remember anything else


No comments:

Post a Comment